Thursday, May 16, 2013

Job

On January 8, 2013 I was let go from my job. On January 21, 2013 I found out I was pregnant. The timing seemed all too perfect. I always knew that when babies came along the job I had wouldn't be a good fit for our family (long travel hours, not great pay, limited vacation and no maternity leave). I also knew that I always wanted to have an "at home business"  and this would be the perfect time to start working on that. I'd have 9 months to ramp up and work from home before a little peanut came along. I didn't even bother looking for a job because I knew I didn't want to work in an office setting.

Well, here we are five months later and I still haven't applied for one job and there is no baby in the belly. That's not to say I don't work, I've been doing graphic design work on the side and making a little extra money doing that. If I can drum up enough business I fully intend on making it my full time career.

In some ways its been a good time not to be working though. I couldn't imagine having to take a week off after my d&c and explaining to my boss what happened. It's also made it easier to get in to doctor's appointments and schedule blood work.

In other ways it hasn't been so good. Some days I feel like researching pregnancy and ovulation cycles has become my job. I've become obsessed. I plan my day around when I can pee on another ovulation stick and google at least three things a day. If I was in an office I wouldn't be able to do this (or maybe I would--- but would probably get fired pretty quickly).

Yesterday, I was working on several graphic design projects and realized something -- this was the first day in a long time that I actually spent doing the work I am supposed to be doing. If I put half as much energy into this as I have researching and ready baby forums I might have half a shot at this whole graphic design thing. So this is my resolution. I am going to allow myself 15 30 minutes a day to focus on baby making. No more reading blogs and forums all day. I'm going to work on myself and my my business in a much healthier way.

No comments:

Post a Comment